I know, India is a far cry from Detroit but I could not help but share what I saw on my tumblr feed. The Gulabi Gang was founded in 2006 by Sampat Pal Devi. Sampat Pal Devi saw a woman being beaten badly by her husband and pleaded with the man to stop but instead he turned his sights on Sampat Pal and beat her. The next day Sampat Pal Devi returned with a bamboo stick and five other women and "returned the favor". The news spread women started requesting similar interventions by Sampat Pal Devi. Soon after, the Gulabi Gang was formed. Their Mission is simple:
"Support and train women to enhance their basic skills to become economically secure and develop confidence to protect themselves from abuse through sustainable livelihood options."
With a bamboo stick, pink saris, and a whole lot of determination these women are effecting change in one of the poorest and socially unbalanced parts of India. Below is a list other issues that the Gulabi Gang work towards.
- Stop child marriages
- Persuade families to educate girl-child
- Train women in self-defense
- Oppose corruption in administration
- Create awareness about the evils of dowry
- Register FIRs against sex-offenders and abusive husbands
- Publicly shame molesters
- Encourage women to become financially independent